Tuesday, August 07, 2007

2007 New Jersey State Fair

2007 New Jersey State Fair....Wow...1st Place Blue Ribbon PLUS a Special Award Ribbon. Who'd have thought? Crochet class for Scarf or Shawl; special award for best in class...basketweave stitch done in a beautiful soft Colibri yarn from Austria. It has a slight shimmer to it with very muted coloring.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An unexpected 1st Place Blue Ribbon...and first time I ever entered the Lacemaking class. Above is an Irish Crochet Heart Rose in size #30 thread and done with a steel hook #11 (also first attempt at using a thread smaller than #10). The item is also from the course I took at the 2007 CGOA convention with Kathie Earle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A 2nd Place Red Ribbon for the "once-a-year-let's-do-it-for-the-State-Fair-doily".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A 2nd Place Ribbon for the Crocheted Lisette Sweater Shawl; pattern by Carolyn Christmas of GourmetCrochet.com. I had this at the 2007 CGOA conference and wore it to the Fashion Show Dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Now this really was a surprise...3rd Place Yellow Ribbon for Jewelry: Other (meaning that it is not Strung or Woven). I started making the above Hairstick/Shawl Pins just recently and thought I'd add it to the other items for the Fair. I'll be making more and they will be selling on the BrainsBarn website and our upcoming shows.

Judge's comments will be known this Sunday when I pick up all the items... :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Your work is stunning!
~Dee

Anonymous said...

CLAPPING! CONGRATS! I love it all. :)

KimT said...

you cleaned up! Congrats on your awards. Love the shawl pins!

Anonymous said...

What a thrill to have won those ribbons! I've never entered anything in a state fair, only the 4-H fair, where everyone gets a ribbon. Your stuff is wonderful! I've seen the African quills for sale at reenactments, but not with any beautiful embellishment like yours!

Thought I'd drop by your blog, since it was listed at the bottom of your email... I"m the one that wants a crochet hook for Civil War reenacting. I have crocheted since college (1968), although my Grammie tried to teach me when I was little. Alas, I was too young and clumsy (she died when I was 8). Learning was easier with wool yarn and a larger hook, but now I do all the little threads and tiny hooks, too! I love making lace edgings! I'll be adding you to my list of favorite blogs!!