Thursday, August 02, 2007

CGOA 2007 Convention...Day 3...07/14/07

OK...last big day ending with this evening's Chic Street Fashion Show.

Should I admit that one (meaning me!) should not take an Irish Crochet thread class at 9am in the morning??!!

Kathie Earle's Irish Crochet Heart Rose. The woman is amazing...her samples prove it to me...no question about it. Also see this page for 2 samples of her work featured on the Guild of Irish Lacemakers site.

Good thing that I finished the homework- and Kathie was gracious enough to compliment my work...especially for a leftie. But she couldn't figure out why the roses were excellent and then the classwork was so-so. LOL...and more LOL!

I mentioned that I needed my tensor light and magnifier and that I never even tried to thread crochet this small--especially at this time of the day!! I was hyperventilating to get an even chain with a picot for the heart shape...with a steel size #11 hook and size #30 thread.

This threadie thought she was pretty good with #10 thread and a steel size #6 or #7 hook but this is another ballgame! I loved it though and am happy to report that I frogged the classwork and redid it. Will have to let Kathie know I didn't give up! The woman has the patience of a saint...

Kathie also gave each one in the class a rememberance...a pin so fine that I studied it at home under a magnifier! What beautiful work and something for this threadie to strive for...if my eyes and fingers hold out! Thank you Kathie!~~~~~~~~~~
I met up with Brian and we took off for the Market...

Natalie and Ann of DreamWeaver Yarns are 2 young, hip women and a pleasure to talk to...

Brian finally got to meet Tom Diak of Grafton Fibers . Knowing that the subject would be woodworking/turning, I chatted with his lovely wife, Linda. Did you see that creative Mermaid??

One couldn't go through the market without stopping to chat with Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss. What a hoot those 2 are together!! Made our day...Brian is still talking about how much he enjoyed them! You couldn't say enough about these 2 ladies and the contributions they've made to the art of crochet!

Onto the FreeForm booth to really study the art that was displayed. Myra Wood put the wallhanging together and has a stunning site showing off her creative works. It includes links to other sites and an invitation to join the FreeFormers group.

Katharyn Crippen Shapiro of CrippenWorks has the most luscious rollups for your crochet and knit supplies. We ordered 3 rollups from her great choice of fabrics and sent plenty of our friends her way...

I won a door prize! A tote bag and 2 skeins of Aran yarn from Irish sheep! It was donated by The Irish Ewe , a vendor from Maine. Brian wound one hank on a nostepinde and presented it to her as a "thank you for your donation". She loved it and yes, replaced my skein. LOL!

I then had it in my head that perhaps I should try knitting. Free classes were offered by Coats & Clark in the marketplace. But!- if I was going to do this then the lease Brian could do was to try the Learn to Crochet class. You had to have been there...good thing I or he didn't grab the camera.

I kept "hooking". This was worse than the first 2 times I ever tried to knit. I'm too far gone on crocheting to even get used to holding 2 sticks...let alone ever hoping to finish an item in this lifetime with any kind of speed.

Brian at least got to crochet a chain and the start of his first row. Don't know what happened then but he gave up too...LOL! Didn't look bad to me even though he needed to work on tension...

We have learned that I can't knit or make hooks; Brian can't crochet.
End of story...and an appreciation of what each other does...

Short rest and getting ready for the Chic Street Fashion Show...deserving of it's own post...

No comments: