Thursday, August 02, 2007

CGOA 2007 Convention...Day 2...07/13/07

After a late night again...at JD's bar/restaurant...and Brian and I playing with our sleep number bed...let's not go there...was I glad I didn't have a morning class scheduled.

As it was I was scheduled to take "Beginner's Guide to Tunisian Crochet" with designer/teacher Darla Fanton in the afternoon. What a lovely woman!...and a great teacher. She has to be to teach this left-hander! I like it!...and have since bought a Tunisian Stitches Crochet book plus a pattern book. If I get comfortable with it there's always Darla's Illusion Crochet to look forward to if offered next year.

For backup I have friend Amie of NexStitch with her online video tutorials for the Tunisian/Afghan stitch(es) ; that's reassuring!

Anyway...Darla's class was informative and relaxed...an asset to the learning process. The booklet received is so helpful and I've referred to it many times already. I love the knit and purl stitch done in CROCHET! And I've actually learned something NEW...proving one can teach an old dog new tricks (except for knitting...and I'll get to that later!) LOL!

Darla's website can be seen here ; her blog can be seen here . Both are well worth a looksee...Darla also graciously signed her booklet handout for me after class :)~~~~~~~~~~
Attended the CGOA Chain Link Annual Meeting at 6pm. We had missed it last year and was glad to make it this year to hear Rita Weiss, our CGOA President talk of all the interesting things she has planned for the CGOA Organization. Also read the September issue of Crochet! magazine's Newsletter.

Not a member yet?...Think about it and supporting your art...
~~~~~~~~~~
Off to the FreeFormers Dinner. What a great group of talented people! It was great to catch up with friends not seen from this group since the year before.

Plenty of pictures to see...rather than duplicate see Margaret Hubert's blog ; Crochet with Dee blog for more pics and don't miss Dee's pics of the FreeFormer booth at the Market and her story of "the tree".

The highlight of the evening (besides being with this group) was connecting again with Prudence Mapstone .Don't miss this site...her work is astounding!

What a gracious and busy lady! At the close of the convention on Sunday she was off on a knitting cruise...featuring "her" of course and leaving that afternoon from Boston. This was one time I wished I knew how to knit!

And it's also the second year she spotted us before we spotted her (as she is always surrounded)... What an honor that she says hello and how have you been...can you tell we both are "Prudence groupies" ??
~~~~~~~~~~
OK...so it was a semi-late night already and we missed the Crochet Coffee get together from 9-11pm. Off to JD's for a nightcap...and then to bed! I have a 9am class...

1 comment:

Maven said...

Sounded like such fun!

Did I tell you I, too, am a leftie?

We are in our RIGHT minds, though:)